Wednesday, February 24, 2010

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” Leo Buscaglia.

We would again like to thank everyone for all the encouraging words, cards, phone calls, and visits but most of all, for your continued prayers.

Since my last update, I have been feeling quite well, and have been able to keep up with my normal activities. Sure, there has been the odd time that I was tired or felt kind of blah, but I have not been sick for which I am thankful to God.

Yesterday I again had my blood checked to see if I had high enough counts for another round of chemo. I was good. I also had another appointment with my oncologist. She is very happy with my progress so far, as are we. My tumors have shrunk some more! May God be praised!

Today I was scheduled for my third round of chemo…unfortunately that didn’t happen. This was a little disappointing. I arrived at the day care unit of the CCI at one thirty. The nurses right away had me in a chair warming my arm. By three fifteen, and three different nurses trying, they still couldn’t get the IV started….which means I didn’t get my chemo today. I was told I had no choice but to have a PICC line inserted. One reason for the problems has to do with the fact that one of the drugs they give me is very hard on the veins.

A PICC line is, by definition and per its acronym, a peripherally inserted central catheter. It is long, slender, small, flexible tube that is inserted into a peripheral vein, typically in the upper arm, and advanced until the catheter tip terminates in a large vein in the chest near the heart to obtain intravenous access. It is similar to other central lines as it terminates into a large vessel near the heart. However, unlike other central lines, its point of entry is from the periphery of the body the extremities. And typically the upper arm is the area of choice. I will have the PICC line until I am finished my chemo therapy. Hopefully they will put it in my left arm.

Now, I have to go back tomorrow to have the PICC line inserted, and then they will give me my chemo.

That’s it for today! Have a good night!

5 comments:

  1. Well bummer that hey? I hope it's not uncomfortable at all?
    I missed you at school the last two days and will miss you tomorrow. I hope and pray you continue to have such great success with your treatments.
    See you Saturday (unless you're at school Friday).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it won't hurt too badly, and maybe make things easier in the long run, not having to deal with being poked and prodded....

    Good luck, hugs, and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying you will be fine, Evelyn, we are thinking about you. I am sure that you will be used to the new way of treatment soon, and even may like it better than all the needle poking. I have experience with that, and come home black and blue. You will not have to put up with that any longer.
    Love,
    aunt Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing and Marvin all the best,
    Love,
    Aunt Martha and uncle Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks again for the updates Evelyn! Have been thinking and praying for you and Marvin, and its sure good to hear such positive reports! Your Dad said to pass along hugs so we must get together soon- so I can fulfill that♥
    love, Linda

    ReplyDelete