Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday, September 18, 2010

If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm is over us, His ear open to our prayer—His grace sufficient, His promise unchangeable.” John Newton

I am now over halfway through the radiation. Things are going well, so far. In talking with my radiation oncologist, she has informed me that there will be about two weeks where I will really hate her because I will experience pain. I have experienced some pain already, but only minimal. My skin is getting dark in some places, and red in other places.

My radiation oncologist was on holidays when my radiation plan was figured out. She had another radiation oncologist work on the plan, but when she returned, after looking at my file again, she has decided to add three extra treatments. At one point there was a lymph node in my neck that they were questioning. She told me that they don’t see it on the scan anymore, but because she knows that it hasn’t been removed by the surgery she has a feeling we should do a few more treatments in this area. She said that she doesn’t know if it will make a difference or not, but she just has a gut feeling, so I will be scheduled for three more treatments.

The trips to Edmonton everyday are tiring, and everyday that I return home safely I am thankful to God for his protection on the road.

Getting from my truck to the treatment area is not easy when you’re on crutches either….oh, I don’t think I put anything about my fractured foot on here before. Well, in June, I fractured my fifth metatarsal. I was put in an air cast, which I could walk on. Actually it was very comfortable. I had it x-rayed again four weeks later, but it wasn’t healed, so I was told to keep using the air cast. Then another two weeks later I had it x-rayed again…still not healed, keep using the air cast. On the 7th of September, I went to see the doctor about my foot again, but in the previous month, it hadn’t healed at all. He put a fiberglass cast on it and told me not to put any weight on it. I have to have it checked again this week; hopefully it is healing now because getting around on crutches is not easy. The doctors figure it isn’t healing because they keep bringing my immunity down…first with chemo, then surgery, and now radiation. We shall see what the x-ray shows this week.

Wishing everyone a blessed Sunday!

6 comments:

  1. I shall accompany you after the next week is up, I don't even mind coming more than once a week then ;-).
    Hope the foot is healing, what a pain eh?
    Safe travels, you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you have a sore foot, I hope that it will heal faster now with this cast. It will not be easy, but you know Who will help you, and He will see you through this also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't realize your foot was causing you that much trouble! Hopefully it will start healing soon.
    Wishing you and Marvin continued strength as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you. We will continue to pray that these treatments bring about the desired results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uggh...you poor lady! We continue to pray for your healing in all aspects! I am glad that the oncologist is going with her gut feeling on those radiation treatments.

    ReplyDelete