Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday, January 31, 2011

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

On Friday, I had an appointment with my medical oncologist. I hadn’t seen here since June (before my surgery and radiation). Before you enter the exam room, the nurse always weighs you. I stepped on the scale and the nurse looked at me and said, ‘You lost some weight’. They are always concerned about this because they think you have lost your appetite, which could mean a problem. I replied that losing weight happens when you have parts surgically removed. She kind of snickered and said, but you lost more weight than that! I told here I didn’t know why, but no more weight was disappearing now—too bad:-(. Then nurse then asked how the Tamoxifin was going. I let her know that I didn’t like the reactions I had to it…moodiness, and hot flashes. The nurse left and the doctor entered. She is pleased with my progress. I still wanted to know if the cancer that was there, was gone now. When I asked here, she looked at the pathology report, and said yes, as far as she could read in the report, it was. I was so pleased to hear this. Praise be to God! I still don’t know why my surgeon couldn’t tell me this in October. I will continue with the Tamoxifin for a total of five years, and then she will prescribe another hormone treatment for another five years. This hormone therapy is given to try to prevent the cancer from returning.

Other than that, I feel well, but am still experiencing some fatigue. My oncologist said that could be partly from the hormone therapy that I am on. I guess I just have to take it one day at a time.

Oh, yes, my hair is growing back. It’s still quite short, but on Christmas Day, I had enough of the bandannas, and went without. Some people couldn’t believe how much hair I was hiding under them! I didn’t think I was hiding that much! It was easy to know when to start wearing the bandanna…but more difficult to decide when to stop wearing them! But, so far, I’m not blonde any more! My hair came back brown. People ask me which I prefer, and I prefer the blonde, I think because I was blonde all my life, but I can live with brown as well. Either way, it doesn’t really matter.

Regarding my foot, I still don’t know if it is actually healed. The orthopedic surgeon didn’t want to see me until at least February. He told my G.P. to treat the symptoms, not the cause…which means as long as it doesn’t bother me, I can go without the cast. I can still feel it occasionally, but the pain isn’t bad enough for me to where the cast. I watch how I walk…especially outside on uneven, icy surfaces. I guess one day I will have to go back to my G.P. and ask to have it x-rayed again.

Thanks again for everyone’s support during this journey!

4 comments:

  1. I was going to ask you about your foot the other day and then I totally forgot.
    Praise the Lord for the good news you've received and I sure hope it continues.
    Awesome on the weight loss! I had a chuckle at the comment you made about having parts removed ;-).
    Praying healing continues and you are restored to good health. hopefully the effects of the T-drug lessen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't think the effects of the T-drug will lessen...I've been on it for 6 months already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for the progress being made! Praying for continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy with you....I agree that it would be nice if they could have told you in October. That would have eased some of the anxiety. Hope your foot slowly heals and your next appt. shows good results. Praying for you and Marvin during this time.

    ReplyDelete